This renovation of a building with a distinguished scientific history is the latest of many modifications since its construction in 1912. Built originally as a facility to house animals, it has served as research laboratory space for many scientists including Nobel Prize winners Alfred Hershey and Barbara McClintock for whom the building is named.
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory
This latest renovation increased the usable floor area of the building by 35 percent adding offices, a seminar room, and mechanical space in a new third floor addition set back from the parapets of the original building. The sloping copper hip roof with deep overhangs is sympathetic to the Italianate character of the original building and is similar in proportion to a nearby Carnegie Library. Its deep overhang and razor thin edge reduces the apparent weight of the new addition allowing the roof to float above the historic structure below. The new third floor replaces a random collection of exhaust fans and mechanical equipment that previously covered the flat roof of the building.
The frame of the third floor addition is dark green with green tinted glass. This gives it the appearance of a shaded canopy or tent while providing expansive views of the nearby harbor. The interior has been completely renovated into state-of-the-art research laboratories with all new mechanical systems, an elevator for complete accessibility, and energy recovery devices.
- Design Award, AIA Long Island
- Merit Award, AIA Connecticut
- Design Award, AIA New England
- Merit Award, Builder's Choice